Details reveal horrific levels of Christian persecution in 2016. The report emerged most recently disclosed that Christians can easily be termed as the most persecuted people in the world. In keeping with renowned Italian sociologist and author Massimo Introvigne, more than 90,000 Christians fell in 2016.
Massimo Introvigne, during an interview with Vatican Radio said that at least 500 to 600 Christians across the globe do not enjoy the liberty to profess their faith in Christ freely without fear of persecution. Moreover, he said that more than 90,000 Christians lost their lives on the pretext of religion in 2016 only. He said that putting this number in simple equation means one Christian every six minutes got killed for his faith.
He further said that this number has dropped significantly in 2016, as 2015 saw about 105,000, Christian martyrs. Further revealed that the tribal conflicts in Africa resulted in 70 percent of the Christians killed for their faith. Remaining 30 percent were killed in terror attacks, government or non-government persecution and attacks on Christian settlements around the world.
An eminent Christian persecution watchdog Open Doors USA, released an annual report detailing Christian persecution around the globe stated that only 7,000 Christians were killed for their faith in 2016. In this regard, Open Doors’ Director of Communications Emily Fuentes stated: “However, this is an extremely conservative estimate, as we only track those we have confirmed details about name, location, etc. There are likely many more.”
“Over the past several years, we have seen a rise in violence in many African countries. However, our findings note that most violence against Christians worldwide is due to Islamic extremism. In African nations, we see large numbers of Christians killed by groups like Boko Haram or al-Shabab, but tribal antagonism also plays a large role in persecution of Christians.”
World Watch another Christian persecution watchdog in its annual report of 2015 stated that Christians were persecuted like never before. The report further revealed that over 3,000 more Christians killed for faith-related incidents.
Emily Fuentes said: “Death rate is just one factor of persecution. Many Christians have been displaced, attacked, abused or face hardship in their everyday lives because of their faith.” A recent report released by an international human rights watchdog Release International claims that Christian persecution is expected to rise in 2017.
“Sadly, this trend has been continuing upward for the past several years, so it is likely going to continue rising, especially with the spread of ISIS and other extremist groups throughout Africa, Central Asia, the Middle East and Southeast Asia,” she explained.